Thank you for choosing Positz Bicycle Chains to ensure smooth and reliable drivetrain performance on your bicycle. This installation guide will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to properly install a Positz Bicycle Chain. Please note that Positz deliberately makes chains longer to accommodate a variety of bike configurations. It’s always better to start with a chain that is too long than too short, as you can easily adjust the length during installation. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Preparing for Installation
- Ensure you have a Positz Bicycle Chain that matches the specifications of your drivetrain system (e.g., 10-speed, 11-speed, etc.).
- Familiarize yourself with the components of the chain, including the outer plates, inner plates, rollers, and pins.
Step 2: Assessing Chain Length
- Before installation, examine the length of the Positz Bicycle Chain and compare it to your old chain or the desired chain length for your bike.
- Positz deliberately makes chains longer to accommodate a wide range of bike configurations.
- It’s always better to have a chain that is too long, as you can easily adjust the length during installation.
Step 3: Removing the Old Chain (If Applicable)
- If you are replacing an old chain, use a chain tool to break the chain at any link.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions specific to your chain tool.
- Carefully remove the old chain from the drivetrain, making note of any master links or removable links.
Step 4: Preparing the New Positz Bicycle Chain
- Lay the new Positz Bicycle Chain on a clean and flat surface.
- Orientate the chain so that the correct end is positioned for installation (usually marked by an arrow on the outer plate).
- Ensure the chain is facing the correct direction, with the outer plates facing outward.
Step 5: Installing the Positz Bicycle Chain
- Begin by threading one end of the chain through the front derailleur, following the appropriate routing guide.
- Carefully wrap the chain around the largest chainring, aligning it with the teeth of the chainring.
- Continue routing the chain through the rear derailleur, ensuring it passes correctly through the jockey wheels and the guide pulley.
- Pull the chain tight to remove any slack while keeping it on the smallest rear cog.
Step 6: Determining the Correct Chain Length
- With the chain loosely installed, assess the excess length by pulling the chain taut.
- Aim for a chain length that allows the rear derailleur to maintain tension on the chain without being overly stretched.
- If the chain is too long, you can remove excess links using a chain tool to achieve the desired length.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions specific to your chain tool for removing links.
- Be cautious and take your time to ensure an accurate and precise chain length adjustment.
Step 7: Connecting the Chain
- If your Positz Bicycle Chain comes with a master link or quick link, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to connect the chain.
- Typically, this involves aligning the link’s pins with the corresponding holes, inserting the link, and then locking it into place.
- Use a gentle but firm press to ensure a secure connection.
- If your chain requires traditional pin connection, carefully align the ends of the chain and insert the chain pin.
- Use a chain tool to push the pin into the chain until it is fully inserted and the ends are securely connected.
- Ensure the pin is properly seated, and the chain is flexible without any binding.
Step 8: Verifying Installation
- Carefully rotate the pedals and shift through the gears to ensure smooth and precise shifting.
- Check for any excessive noise, skipping, or chain dropping.
- If necessary, make slight adjustments to the front and rear derailleur to optimize shifting performance.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed a Positz Bicycle Chain, ensuring a reliable and efficient drivetrain on your bicycle. Remember, it’s better to have a chain that is too long and adjust it during installation for optimal performance.
If you have any questions or require further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact Positz customer support. Enjoy your rides with the smooth and reliable performance of Positz Bicycle Chains!